All registrations can be found at our workshop catalog located here. Or you can select the date of the course and click on the highlighted link below.
Substitute/TA Training –
This two-day workshop will provide participants with a half-day of training in daily classroom interactions as well as all three NYS workshop certificates required to be a substitute or teacher assistant. This workshop requires completion of two online classes – DASA/SAVE online class and a Child Abuse/Mandated Reporter online class.
Registrants will receive information to log in to the online classes once payment has been received. The second day of the session will consist of participants completing the online classes at their own pace, with the ability to borrow technology as required. Participants that complete both online classes prior to the start of the in person session do not have to attend the second day of the training. The fee for this workshop is $40. Please contact Kara Paluzzi with any questions regarding registration and payment.
Participants will receive
- Instruction on teacher’s handbooks and following district policies.
- Instruction in classroom management.
- Child Abuse Workshop certificate.
- School Violence certification (SAVE)
- Dignity for All Students Act certification (DASA)
Registered participants will receive instructions on how to complete the online portions upon the date of the online class opening (noted below).
|Cohort||Online class opens||Online class ends||In person class|
|3||December 15||January 16||January 15/16|
|4||February 18||March 19||March 18/19|
Please note the following:
1. All online course work must be completed prior to the 1 day workshop, or participants must attend the second day to complete the online portions on our campus with provided equipment.
2. JL BOCES is an authorized provider of both the Substitute Teacher and Teacher Assistant Training for Jefferson County and Lewis Counties.
3. All payments of $40 fee to register can be sent or dropped off at the following address: Jefferson-Lewis BOCES, ATTN: Kara Paluzzi, 20104 State Route 3, Watertown NY 13601. The fee can be paid with cash, check or money order (made out to Jefferson-Lewis BOCES). Please do not send cash through the mail.
4. If you have registration questions, please contact Kara Paluzzi at firstname.lastname@example.org or 315-779-7041.
5. If you have technical questions regarding the online classes, please contact Tim Davey at email@example.com or 315-779-7044.
Teacher Assistant Certification Exam (ATAS)
The exam is administered by NYSTCE at multiple locations across the state and region.