Board of Education 2018-19
Grace H. Rice, President
Peter E. Monaco, Vice President
Alice M. Draper
Sandra Young Klindt
Michael J. Kramer
Barbara A. Lofink
Jennifer L. Jones
Lynn A. Murray
Michael F. Young
Jefferson-Lewis-Hamilton-Herkimer-Oneida BOCES will lead, create, implement and sustain educational programs that meet the ever-changing needs of the students and communities we serve.
The Jefferson-Lewis-Hamilton-Herkimer-Oneida BOCES, in cooperation and partnership with our component school districts, community agencies, higher education, business, industry, and the State Education Department:
- Provides high quality and cost-effective educational programs enabling students of all ages to find success.
- Provides life-long learning opportunities that facilitate college, career, and community readiness.
- Provides leadership, resources and support services for component districts to achieve success.
- Communicates with districts and the community regarding educational developments and priorities.
LONG RANGE GOALS
The BOCES supports the Regents' Bill of Rights for Children and Goals for Elementary, Middle and Secondary School Students (1991) and establishes additional goals.
- To provide programs for students that develop knowledge, skills and attitudes to enable them to be economically self-sufficient, contributing citizens, who possess a feeling of self-worth, and a desire for life-long learning.
- To continuously evaluate and upgrade programs and develop new services that meet the needs of an "evolving" society and its population.
- To provide leadership throughout the region in identifying educational needs, and in creatively pooling resources and personnel to meet these needs.
- To develop budgetary procedures which recognize the need for providing high quality programs while being cognizant of local economic resources.
- To regularly seek feedback from component Boards of Education and personnel regarding the effectiveness of current programs and needs in the future.
- To maintain or acquire staff, materials and facilities to operate current and future programs.
- To cooperate with other regional agencies and The State Education Department in providing programs and services that have a statewide impact.
- To annually evaluate all personnel for the purpose of continued development and assessment of contributions to the mission and goals of the BOCES.
BOARD GOALS 2018-2019
- Continuing Strategic planning and succession planning processes that will help all BOCES departments and programs to prepare for the future.
- Helping the component school districts of the region to identify and maximize opportunities for collaboration in both instructional and non-instructional programs, and ensuring the sustainability of those programs.
- Promoting a positive BOCES image at every opportunity, including a system for ongoing evaluation and quality control in all of our programs.
- Maintaining and upgrading our present BOCES facilities to ensure that they will meet the needs of present and future programming.
- Re-establishing the adult nursing program in Lewis County, in partnership with key Lewis County agencies and organizations.
- Maximizing the use of the new educational facility in Lowville in partnership with JCC and Lewis County, and maximizing opportunities for a similar facility in Jefferson County adjacent to our Watertown campus.