Enter a profession that is rooted to the Hippocratic Oath for doctors and the Florence Nightingale Pledge for nursing. Engage in the sacred union between caregiver and patient. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (May 2016 analysis), the national median wage is $21.20 per hour with annual income of $44,090.
New York State is considered one of the states with high employment rates, high concentration of jobs and high wages for practical nurses. Skilled, high-end practical nurses can earn in excess of $58,000 annually. The industry includes nursing care facilities, general medical and surgical hospitals, long-term care and assisted living communities, and much more.
The Practical Nursing course reduces the time commitment and financial obligations of a college program. Our 10-month program results in NYS certification that is transferable to most states and offers access to financial assistance.
The Program for Practical Nursing at the Jefferson-Lewis BOCES is fully accredited by the New York State Education Department. Graduates are eligible for admittance to the New York State Licensing Examination for Practical Nurse (NCLEX-PN).
- NYS Licensing Exam Pass Rate: 2015=79.56% and 2016=78.59%
- Jefferson-Lewis BOCES Practical Nursing Students Licensing Exam Pass Rate: 2015=80% and 2016=72%
- 2017 NYS PN Programs - Rank #16
- Gainful Employment Disclosure: Required by the U.S. Department of Education.
Program RequirementsFinancial Aid Links:Pre-Admission Assessments:
- Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS® Test)
- Test Components
- English and Language Usage
- ATI Academic Level Required for Pre-Admisson:
- Note: Basic scores that near the Proficient level may be given consideration
- Bohlen Technical Center, 21st Century Learning Lab
- Cost is $81, payable at time of online registration
- Strong Interest Inventory
- Bohlen Technical Center, Jefferson-Lewis BOCES Testing Center (Note: Seats are limited, do not wait until two days prior to your interview.)
- No additional cost to student
- Admission Interview
- Admission Interview Elements
- Official High School or High School Equivalency Transcript
- Current resume
- Three letters of reference
- Autobiography, limits and standards
- One-page typed autobiography on 8.5" x 11" paper with one-inch margins (top, bottom and sides)
- Double-spaced text
- Arial font in 12-point size
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed at least ten (10) business days prior to interview. (See "Applying for Financial Aid" link).
- Drug Test
- Results are negative
- Dilute results require recollection at the expense of the student
- Cost is $80, payable to Jefferson-Lewis BOCES
- The student is responsible for payment of all drug tests
- The drug test fee is non-refundable
- Students who have a break in enrollment must submit to drug testing as a condition of re-enrollment
- Physical Examination and Immunizations
- Physical examination
- MMR's (2)
- Varicella Titer or Vaccine
- Tetanus Vaccine/Booster (within the preceding 10 years)
- Tuberculin Testing (Mantoux Test, effective one month prior to the course start date)
- Cost is variable as per each individual's medical arrangements
- Students who have a break in enrollment must submit a current physical examination and immunizations as a condition of re-enrollment.
TEAS Test dates for 2017-18 have been announced. Click here to viewStudents must register online for the TEAS®.
Students are administered the TEAS® as per their registration.Students must obtain a score of Basic or higher to be eligible to continue. Please Note: It is advisable to prepare for this test. Contact your local library or visit an online bookstore for a preparation guide. TEAS Test Prep can also be found on the ATI Nursing Education website. Students taking the exam on or after August 31, 2016, will need to purchase the sixth edition of the TEAS study manual.Immediately following the test session, eligible students will call (315-779-7200) for an appointment for the Strong Interest Inventory and an admissions interview.Students must complete the Strong Interest Inventory and submit a copy of their high school or high school equivalency diploma (e.g., GED® diploma), current resume, three letters of reference, and an autobiography no later than two-days prior to their scheduled interview.Students who successfully pass the Pre-Admission Process will be sent the following:
- Go to http://www.atitesting.com and click on "Online Store"
- Under "Register" select "TEAS®"
- Select a "state" (NY) and "city" (Watertown)
- The various testing dates will be listed and select "register" for the date you wish to test.
- Create a username and password for your account if you have not done so already.
- You will then go to the payment screen; all payments are via a major credit card and confirmation is sent to you after payment has been processed.
- letter of provisional acceptance (acceptance is contingent on meeting the drug test requirement) and
- physical examination form that includes immunization verification's.
Students will need to submit payment for the drug test to the Nursing Secretary at the Bohlen Technical Center. At that time, the student will obtain the drug test form and directions to the lab.
Students who successfully complete the drug test requirement will be sent a letter of admission indicating the site location, date and time to start the Practical Nurse Program.Please Note: Students must make tuition arrangements, no later than, one week prior to the start of the course. A completed physical examination form that includes immunization verification's must be submitted to Mrs. Lapp, Heath Occupations Coordinator, no later than three weeks prior to the start of the course.
Curriculum Level 1 Level 2
- Nursing Ethics & Behavior
- Medical/Surgical Nursing
- Fundamentals of Nursing
- Anatomy & Physiology
Academic Calendar September thru JunePN Level I: BTC (40 students)PN Level I: HGSTC (20 students)Admission Process completed in April and May January thru January (no classes during July and August)PN Level I: BTC (30 students)Admission Process completed in October and November Calendar Date Pre-Admission Process Course Starts Maximum Enrollment April / May Fall Semester BTC: 40 students HGSTC: 20 students October / November Spring Semester BTC: 30 students BTC: Bohlen Technical Center, 20104 NYS Route 3, Watertown, NY 13601 HGSTC: Howard G. Sackett Technical Center, 5836 NYS Route 12, Glenfield, NY 13343Please contact 315-779-7230, for the most current information.
- NYS Licensing Exam Pass Rate: 2015=79.56% and 2016=78.59%