Non-Teacher Coach: A person who does not hold a current New York State Teaching Certificate (Math, Science, English, Art ect.) Teaching Assistants and Teaching Aides would fall under this category as well. Non-teacher coaches are required to apply for coaching licenses through NYSED.
Teacher Coach: A person who holds a teaching certificate in an area other than physical education, administrative leader, school counselors, school psychologists, and school social workers. Those listed above should not apply for a coaching license through NYSED. Please refer to your district for your coaching credentials.
COACHING APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS
All non-certified teacher coaches need to apply for a NYSED coaching license
Applications are submitted electronically through “TEACH Online Services,” at the Office of Teaching Initiatives website as follows: www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert
How to Apply
- Click on the link for TEACH Online Services on the left side of the screen. Next, choose if you are creating a NY government account or adding TEACH to an existing government account or if you have previously created a TEACH account then you can click “Login to TEACH.” If you have forgotten your username and/or password click on the link to regain your access or you may contact NYSED TEACH Helpline directly at (518)486-6041 or firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- Once the log in is complete, click on “Apply for Certificate.”
- Choose the following in the drop down menu:
- Area of Interest: Coaching
- Subject Area: Coaching (unless coaching competitive cheerleading)
- Grade Level: Adolescent – Grades 7-12
- Title – The Sport that you will be Coaching
- Type of Certificate:What license type are you applying for? (see license types on the back of this sheet)
- Choose either NYSED or BOCES to evaluate your application. If you would like BOCES to evaluate your application choose BOCES to evaluate. Next, you will see a selection for either School District or County. You will choose County of Jefferson. Once this is completed choose Jefferson-Lewis BOCES and continue on to the payment screen to compete the application process.
**Please note this is only the application and you will still need to complete the evaluation by turning in all supporting documents and be processed by NYSED.
**All documents must have your full name, date of birth, and the last 4 digits of your social security number on them to be considered valid for certification**
- Copies of valid First Aid and CPR card (All Levels)
- Verification of Workshops
- Certificates of completion for Coaching Courses (Temporary 2nd to 4th License and above or more five years from first coaching license) OR
- NFHS Coaching Certificate
- Level I & Level II (Temporary 2nd to 4th)
- Level III (Professional)
- Internship and evaluation form
5. Last Three Years of Sport Specific Satisfactory Evaluation Forms (Professional and Professional Renewal)
You may call MorphoTrust/IDEMIA at: 877-472-6915 to schedule an appointment or schedule online at https://uenroll.identogo.com/workflows/14ZGQT. The cost as of July 1, 2022 is $101.75
Jefferson Lewis BOCES currently services all districts in the following counties: Jefferson County, Lewis County, St Lawrence County
Jefferson Lewis BOCES also services the following individual school districts: Adirondack CSD, Inlet Public School,Town of Webb CSD, Franklin County Brushton Moira CSD, Long Lake CSD, St. Regis Falls CSD, Salmon River CSD, FEH BOCES, and Tupper Lake CSD
If your school district is not listed above please contact your local BOCES for assistance
Please submit all documents and any questions to:
Attn: Amanda MacKenzie
20104 NYS Route 3
Watertown, NY 13601
All coaching documents for coaches and athletic directors please refer to the following page: https://www.boces.com/o/BOCES/page/frontier-league (Scroll down for Coaching Certification under Documents)