What is the HSE Exam?
The New York State Education Department has received a proposal from GED Testing Service (GEDTS) to provide the GED® Test as the state’s High School Equivalency (HSE) exam, beginning in 2022. The Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC Test™) is being discontinued as of 12/31/21. All passing scores from TASC subtests (2014-2021) and GED passing scores from 2002-2013 can be applied toward a HSE diploma, when the GED Test begins being offered in NYS. As soon as the contract with GEDTS is finalized by the NYS Office of the State Comptroller, information will be posted on the HSE website, including how to register and receive a GED account and where to find a GED Test Center and schedule subject test, or subtests. Thank you for your patience.
The following information will be updated accordingly.
Jefferson-Lewis BOCES HSE Testing Center
GED® Test Dates
Cell Phone Policy: View Policy
Test Center Inclement Weather Policy: View Policy
The Jefferson-Lewis BOCES is an official site for the HSE Exam. The testing center is contracted by the New York State Education Department. You must meet the following requirements:
- Meet the Age and Residency requirements established by the State of New York
- Provide valid proof of Identity, Age, and Residency
- Not have graduated from an accredited high school or received a high school equivalency diploma
- Not be currently enrolled in a regular high school program of instruction leading to a high school diploma or previously earned scores on the HSE Exams sufficient to qualify for a high school equivalency diploma/certificate
- Receive passing credit for HSE Exam
More information on testing in New York State can be found here.
Contact the Adult Education Office, 315-779-7220, for more information.
Helpful Links for the HSE Exam
Use the drop down menu for Test Takers to review:
- About the HSE Exam
- Preparing for the HSE Exam
- Taking the HSE Exam
- After the Test
If you require special accommodations for testing, approval is required prior to the test session. Please refer the submenu for specific information. The Request for Accommodations form is also located here.
New York State Education Department High School Equivalency Office
- More Information about the HSE Exam
- HSE Exam Candidates
All forms must be completed online, printed and all signatures entered in Blue Ink. Submission of handwritten application forms for testing will not be accepted.
- Attachment A – Application to Test
- Attachment B – Age Eligibility/Verification to Test
- H Application – Request a Duplicate copy of a diploma or transcript
- Attachment R – Request Regents Credit for the HSE Exam
- View unofficial HSE Exam Results
Please Note: The High School Equivalency (HSE) Office in Albany, NY, is the only entity approved to issue high school equivalency diplomas in New York State. If diplomas and/or transcripts are obtained from a source other than the HSE Office, they are not legitimate documents. Examinees who possess them cannot use them for any academic or vocational purposes (e.g. to obtain or upgrade a job, to enter a training program, to enlist in the United States Armed Forces, to enter into a post-secondary institution, college, or university, etc.).